MyBox is an enterprise manufacturer and supplier of EV charging stations from Eastern Europe. The company needed backend cloud infrastructure for operators and support teams, with mobile applications for end-users.
The most critical business challenge was developing a universal cloud ecosystem to remotely connect, configure, and support thousands of EV chargers with different hardware and user flows.
The second part of the challenge was ensuring enterprise-grade security while keeping everything user-friendly on both sides of the vendor and the end-users
We re-use the functionality of the 2Smart Cloud platform as a framework and developed a set of custom features on top of it.
Reused platform features:
- MQTT Broker for managing devices.
- Collecting of time series data.
- Monitoring of connected device statuses.
- Statistics gathering for connected devices and online users.
- Versioning of the firmware.
- OTA updates support.
- Health monitoring of the platform itself.
- Integrations with Google Home, iOS shortcuts, messengers, and phone call control.
- Encrypted backups.
- Push notifications in mobile apps and service notifications in cloud app.
Custom developed features:
- Developed a web admin panel that allows custom visualizations of telemetry, different levels of remote control, debugging, and configuration capabilities over connected charging stations, using our custom UI library.
- Added flexible permission management.
- Implemented additional authentications for matching enterprise security demands.
- Developed single super-versatile firmware to ensure easy interconnection between different hardware.
- Provided iOS and Android white-labeled mobile applications based on the 2Smart Cloud app.
Implementation of features in the development of a cloud-based ecosystem in Stage One:
- White-labeled mobile applications for EV charging stations.
- Cloud web panel for remote administration of thousands of EV chargers, with flexible multi-layer permissions management.
- Remote updates and configuration functionality to ensure remote support.
- Remote telemetry gathering.
- Ensured future scalability with the help of universal firmware that handles hardware from different vendors.
Features to be implemented in Stage Two:
- Generating custom reports for admins and consumers.
- Implementing a billing gateway for the public usage of the chargers.
- Developing the user flow for unregistered users to use public chargers without hassle.
- Developing custom mobile app widgets for in-depth configuration of connected devices.
- Developing a custom integration for third-party charging stations for connecting them to the system without refining the firmware of each charger.
- Implementing an OCPP technology for connecting third-party devices into the managing system for the EV Chargers.
- Developed an enterprise-grade cloud management system for EV Chargers that remotely manages and supports a network of thousands of private and public EV Chargers from different vendors.
- Successfully reused a big part of the platform`s functionality to cut the time to market drastically.
- On top of the existing functionality, we developed features such as advanced user permission management, custom data visualizations, and additional security measures.
- In addition, we developed a custom, super-flexible firmware for the ESP-C3 MCU controlling the chargers that ensures easy future support and scaling.
- Provided modern and comprehensive white-labeled mobile applications for the end-users.